Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 31, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: CHARLIE ST CLOUD

(UNIVERSAL PICTURES)

Driving home from the movie "Charlie St. Cloud," I couldn't help but process through the movie. This one is going to be interesting explaining....

SYNOPSIS:
The story is about a young man named Charlie. Charlie has some issues and baggage, simply put a ghost of a brother who he emotionally tends to everyday, by playing catch and teaching his younger brother how to throw the ball. Charlie's life though goes for a spin when he meets the girl he can't stop staring at. Yes it truly was love at first sight for these two. The more time he spends with this girl, the less time he has for his ghost of a brother and his baseball lessons. This is where we have our dilemma.


CHARACTERS: The Chemistry was there in almost all the characters except for Ray Liotta who aged really quickly in the movie(a little weird). I have to give props to Zac Efron for creating a well rounded strong character that was easy to care about(and not bad on the eyes either). I wanted to be able to be apart of the movie because of these characters.

I wanted to also comment on the child actor of the brother(Charlie Tahan) who played one of the best characters in the movie. Kudos to him!


REVIEW: There was a lot I liked about this movie, and there was some things I really didn't like. Good News is this isn't "The Last Airbender." Charlie St. Cloud has a strong underlying message about letting go of things that are pulling you down, even if you care about them, and following your dreams. I love that about the movie. I loved that all the characters played their parts well and that I didn't have to roll my eyes with the acting.(Example: Who the hell was she sleeping with to get this part). But I had a lot of issues with the story. The main character drops everything(a scholarship to a ivy league, and his passion of sailing competition) to chase some birds around and work at the graveyard his brother was buried? Yea you heard that right. The dialog was cheesy(Although everyone of the actors did their best to work with it, and made it sound beautiful!). In a lot of the movie, I was more interested in waiting for Zac to take off his shirt, then in what was going on. Still Because of the beautiful cinematography and strong performances, This movie is worth seeing, even in the theater. The Movie still tugged at my heart strings, it just didn't keep me sucked into the movie. One last thing:This ghost child has such a potty mouth!

Take this movie, not as your typical "Zac Efron" movie, for it is entertaining, and no one breaks out in dance.:)

SUMMARY:
GRADE:B
RECOMMENDATION: THIS MOVIE IS SAFE.IF YOUR LOOKING TO GET YOUR SOCKS KNOCKED OFF, WATCH INCEPTION, OTHERWISE THIS MOVIE WILL BE THE SAFE BET. WATCH IT TO SCORE BROWNIE POINTS WITH YOUR PARTNER WHO IS OBSESSED WITH THE CHICK FLICKS.

2 comments:

  1. This reviewer must have ice water flowing through their veins not to have been emotionally moved by this film.

    This film deserves an A rating. I enjoyed the story, I was sucked into feeling for Charlie and the plight of his deceased brother caught in between worlds as well.

    I laughed, I cried (a lot) and enjoyed the journey. I was never bored and really liked the entire structure of the film.

    I understand where Charlie is coming from as I have seen friends give up everything because of a tragedy. It does happen Mr. Reviewer.

    Here is a film which provides a very strong message about never giving up, taking a chance on life regardless of the fear that holds you back. Take the hand life offers you and take the first step in to making it everything you can.

    I realize I am a total romantic sap but I was emotionally moved and tears were visibly flowing down my cheeks.

    Rush to the theater to watch this film besides being emotionally touched there is no harm in spending two hours watching Zac Efron on the big screen, those deep blue eyes will melt anyone's heart except this reviewer's.

    The movie is worth an A and it will find it's way into my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Ray Liotta's aging was the result of the cancer ravishing his body and soul.

    ReplyDelete