Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 4, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: BURLESQUE

(2010 SCREEN GEMS)

SYNOPSIS: A small town nobody, leaves her small town to find a better job and a better life. On her journey she finds a failing lounge to work at called the "burlesque."

CHARACTERS: It takes more then a legend to make a good movie as is seen in this movie. Christina Aguilera attempts at being an innocent, newbie looking for her place in this world. I found Christina's performance very one toned throughout the movie, which became distracting. On the other hand, I believe Cher still hasn't lost her Oscar worthy acting. Although this really wasn't her best, she still stood out as the best actress of the film. My favorite performance of Cher was a song called "You haven't seen the last of me." It was beautiful and reminded me a lot of Jennifer Hudson's "I am telling you."

REVIEW: This movie had a lot of potential, from the songs that were choreographed perfectly to the characters but the chemistry with a lot of the characters didn't fit. Cher and Christina had no chemistry together so the transitions the characters are supposed to be going through doesn't seem as real as they could have. Also Cher's longtime friend looks half Cher's age, making the casting of this movie less then perfect. But to throw this movie into perspective, the actors alone were charismatic and fun, and Cher definitely carried this movie. But movie makers, please oh please put more chemistry into your movies, otherwise your movie may turn out lame.

SUMMARY:
GRADE: C+
RECOMMENDATION: THIS MOVIE LIGHTS UP THE SCREEN AND IS WORTH SEEING IN THEATERS. If your looking for an Oscar worthy movie, this isn't it. Its not worth anymore then bright lights and choreography.

4 comments:

  1. Once again I must disagree. This movie will be in my top 10 list of best films of 2010. I love, love, love this movie from start to finish. It takes me to my happy place! I agree about the casting of Cher's best friend, the actress was too young but she was brilliant in the part.

    There is great music, great dancing, hot looking actors, what more can you ask for.

    My guilty pleasure!

    Deserves a B+ at least!

    We may just have to take back your "gay" card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christina Aguilera's voice so much that it may be worth it for me to see it even with the low rating you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really want to see this!

    ReplyDelete