Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Oscar Predictions: 2011





Well its that time of year, its the year where we watch rich people win awards and brag about! Yah!!!!

Nonetheless, Since I have picked on most of the movies of 2010, I figured, "Lets throw my crazy ass critic opinion into the prediction table for the movies." So while I like to have an opinion, I feel only to have a prediction for where it is due. So Without further distraction...My Predictions are as follows...

Best Original Screenplay Nominees: Mike Leigh for "Another Year," Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson for "The Fighter," Christopher Nolan for "Inception," Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumerg for "The Kids Are All Right."

My Prediction: I loved most of the movies on this list but "Inception" will take the Oscar home. You know as much as we relate to the script, no one can out due Christopher Nolan's genius with a cop/robber movie with a completely different spin to it. I am still to this day boggled from the manipulation this alienated script made me feel.


Best Adapted Screenplay Nominees: Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy for "127 hours," Aaron Sorkin for "The Social Network," John Lasseter, Andrew Standton and Lee Unkrich for "Toy Story 3," Joel Coen and Ethan Coen for "True Grit," Debra Granik and Anne Rosellini for "Winter's Bone."

My Prediction: As much as i would love "Toy Story 3" to win this one, I know that "The Social Network" is the favorite and more then likely going to be the victor in this round. The script is flawless, beside the fact that they are talking about complex ideas and assuming we know what they are talking about. It was smooth and adapted better then any of its contenders.

Best Cinematography Nominees: Matthew Libatique for "Black Swan," Wally Pfister for "Inception," Danny Cohen for "The Kings Speech," Jeff Cronenweth for "The Social Network," Roger Deakins for "True Grit."

My Prediction: This falls down to a matter of favorite and who really deserves it. Honestly its a close call but I am going to faithfully stand by who deserves the award and thats Wally Pfister for "Inception." To create such beautiful movements with story and still be able to pull off such an amazing movie is all but incredible. You take the idea of putting an audience in a dream of a dream and still be able to follow the movie, well hats off to you.


Best Animated Feature Film Nominees: "How to Train Your Dragon," "Illusionist," "Toy Story 3."

My Prediction: I absolutely loved these movies. I would root for How to train your dragon in a heart beat, but Toy Story 3 was moving, funny and original, even after 2 movies and deserves the oscar.


Best Supporting Actor Nominees: Christian Bale for "The Fighter," John Hawkes for "Winter's Bone," Jeremy Renner for "The Town," Mark Ruffalo for "The Kids are all Right," Geoffrey Rush for "The King's Speech,"

My Prediction: Do I have to pick one? I loved Mark Ruffalo and Jeremy Renner. Jeremy Renner gave me chills seeing him on film, and Mark Ruffalo made me want to hate him throughout his performance. But in all honestly, the best performance go to Geoffrey Rush, for he truly deserves it. I'm throwing my ticket in for him.


Best Supporting Actress Nominees: Amy Adams FOR "The Fighter," Helena Bonham Carter for "The King's Speech," Melissa Leo for "The Fighter," Hailee Steinfeld for "True Grit," Jacki Weaver for "Animal Kingdom."

My Prediction: I love Amy Adams, and her role in the fighter was very well done, but I am predicting the Oscar going to Melissa Leo for her role as the controlling mother in "The Fighter." She is crass, stubborn, yet frail. I loved her performance and I am putting my nod to her.

Best Actor Nominees: Javier Bardem for "Biutiful," Jeff Bridges for "True Grit," Jesse Eisenberg for "The Social Network," Colin Firth for "The King's Speech," and James Franco for "127 Hours."

My Prediction: My two favorite performances were noted in this category and I am glad that the acadamy recognized this: Jesse Eisenberg and Colin Firth. Both Phenomenal Actors. On that note, all hail a true King, for Colin Firth nailed this part. He incorporated witty, short tempered, yet broken all in the same act and was perfected. Thank you for still being so amazing Colin!

Best Actress Nominations: Annette Bening for "The Kids are all Right," Nicole Kidman for "Rabbit Hole," Jennifer Lawrence for "Winter's Bone," Natalie Portman for "Black Swan," and Michelle Williams for "Blue Valentine."

My Prediction: Again, Annette Bening is one of my favorite actresses and I will continue to love her work, but Natalie is taking Oscar home this year. Of all the performances I have seen this year, nothing stunned,moved and intensified my experience like Natalie Portman. Well done!

Best Director Nominations: Darren Aronofsky for "Black Swan," David O. Russell for "The Fighter," Tom Hopper for "The King's Speech," David Fincher for "The Social Network," and Joel and Ethan Coen for "True Grit."

My Prediction: Who Deserves it? Darren Aronofsky, but knowing the trends, David Fincher will win it. Where is Christopher Nolan? Anyone?


Best Picture Nominations: "Black Swan," "The Fighter," "Inception," "The Kids Are All Right," "The King's Speech," "127 Hours," "The Social Network," "Toy Story 3," "True Grit," "Winter's Bone."

My Prediction: This is a tough choice. Both "The King's Speech" and "Inception," both deserve it, but "The Social Network," is the favorite. With that said, "The Social Network," will win Best picture and a devastating blow to the two movies that deserved it.





No comments:

Post a Comment